Wednesday 18 November 2009

Self-leadership 1 - Responsibilities

‘Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because, if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers’ (1 Tim 4:16).

I was recently asked to outline how I manage my life and time in view of my growing responsibilities. I hope the following reflections will be helpful!

I recognise three significant areas of responsibility in my life – home, King’s Church and within Newfrontiers.

- Home: includes spending time with Deb, time with the boys, family nights, rest and holidays. I have particular responsibility for the budget.
- King’s: leading the church, bringing overall vision and direction, preaching responsibilities, planning, preparation, study time, major budgetary decisions and oversight, key staff, e-mails, communications and blogs etc.
- Newfrontiers: UK team meetings, Team Leaders, Prayer & Fasting, weekends away, the 11 churches that I oversee and all the teaching that is connected with my involvement with these specific areas.
- Any spare time that’s left is for golf and taking it easy!

Each of these requires prioritising and putting in my diary. I have a framework of workinga daily pattern, weekly pattern, monthly pattern and an annual pattern. In order to get the big picture, during the six-weeks over the summer when I take my break (including two weeks planning and preparation) I would put into my diary an outline for the next twelve months.