Friday 29 May 2009

Conclusions - For Men and Women Only!

Concluding the reviews of For Men Only and For Women Only by Shaunti and Jeff Feldhahn...

For Women Only – by Deb

I enjoyed this book, as I felt it brought a fresh look at many of the things we think we know about our husbands. It made me think more deeply about what my response should be to some of the ‘revelations’ and led to some interesting discussions with Steve. I was not surprised by many of the findings, such as a man’s need for sex or respect, or the importance he places on appearance, but it did help me get inside my husband’s mind a little more successfully! A couple of things did surprise me, such as the burden a man feels to provide. I really hadn’t appreciated this before. I was also reminded that sex fulfils an emotional as well as a physical need in men, something I believe many of us forget.

Any book which brings insight and understanding to the person to whom we are married is to be welcomed. Like all books, there are some things which will resonate deeply with you and others which won’t. It is a great book to discuss together – you may find it leads to some revealing and challenging discussions!

For Men Only – by Steve

I found this book extremely helpful in further understanding Deb. We have been married for nearly 20 years, have taught the marriage course 6 or 7 times and I have read widely on the subject of marriage, but this book gave me new insights into how my wife processes life. I was always aware that emotions were more complicated for women, but the comparison of emotional testosterone for women with male testosterone helped me understand more deeply the need Deb has for emotional connection and shared emotional lives.


The End!